Here are the demons I face:
- I know I could be doing more than nothing
- If I were to do more, than I would be a better runner (in my mind’s theory)
- If I run every day, then my legs will be more prepared, come marathon day, for the pain they will endure.
- If I don’t run then I will not burn any calories
I DID NOT REST BEFORE. THEN I GOT INJURED.
Here is what I learned:
- I overtrained
- I ran everyday. Sometimes I took Sunday’s off, but generally I ran every day.
- My racing performance plateaued
- I developed a heel spur from plantar fasciitis
- I sometimes ran so much, I didn’t want to run anymore. What????
- I NEED TO HAVE REST DAYS – ESPECIALLY IF I AM GOING TO RUN A MARATHON IN A FEW MONTHS
In the past week I have run 50 miles. I have done intervals, distance, progressive and just plain “gimme me some miles” runs. Time to rest. Here is what I gain:
1. Build strength
2. I don’t burnout
3. I help my plantar fasciitis to heal
4. And I don’t get down on running! In fact I will be super excited to run the following day!
I am going to be so excited to run on Friday! That is for sure. What to do instead?
What do you do for rest days? Let me know!